Thursday, April 2, 2009

play with friends

At 7:30ish a.m. the phone rang. It was Tonya, inviting Kyra to ride the bus home with Sophia this afternoon so the girls could play together. Without a seconds hesitation, Kyra said YES.

I worked from home today and had an appointment for Shield security to come to the house and transfer my alarm system from ADT to Shield security. A friend of mine, Danita, has a Shield franchise. I made the switch primarily to help her out by being another customer, but it turns out that I'm going to save a good bit of money as well. Now that's a win-win!

This afternoon I attended a meeting of 4th grade teachers and room parents to plan for the upcoming Pioneer Day that 4th graders do each year at Kyra's school. It was a bit overwhelming with all the activities involved. I certainly hope I can solicit a lot of other parents to volunteer to help with this multi-day program! On 4/23-24, the kids sew aprons (girls) and bandanas (boys) and parents are needed to help out. On 4/30, the kids prepare bread, biscuits or muffins and parents are needed to help, as well as take home to bake. The actual Pioneer Day is on 5/1 and parents are needed to help along the trail as well as to bring in crockpots of soups, stews, etc. for lunch. It sounds like quite an adventure! The students will be graded on the entire project regarding how well they work together to accomplish all the tasks that they have to complete. They will divide themselves up into "family unit" groups and work out amongst themselves who will be responsible for which items/tasks. This should be interesting... I just wish the timing were better. They also have CRCT testing mid-April and parents are supposed to supply healthy snacks for the class each day.

Since I had that meeting, I was glad Kyra went home with Sophia so I would have more quiet time to get actual work accomplished! Tonya called me later and invited me to come over for pizza tonight since Will is out of town. We ate and chatted about my recent illness as well as the future Chicago marathon while the girls continued to play. We finally left their house around 8:30 p.m. Natalie blocked the door way for quite a while, not wanting us to leave. How sweet! I'm so grateful for amazing friends!

No comments: