I swear we went to PetsMart to ONLY buy crickets for Kyra's pet toad and dog food. Before we got there Kyra said, "Hey, it's Saturday... maybe they'll have puppies for adoption." I respond with, "we're only buying crickets and dog food". She says... "what if they have a rodesian ridgeback?" and I respond, "we're only buying crickets and dog food."
We walked in the door and there were crate after crate after crate of cute kitties and cats needing homes. Some older, some wee ones. I'm a cat lover at heart. So as we're looking at them the volunteer asks if we're looking to adopt. I promptly reply, "No, we have a cat, two dogs, a toad and a fish." And that was my stance until we came to Diamond and Diesel... Diesel, what a cool name! The card on their crate said they're only 12 weeks old and have been in 6 different homes so far and need a forever home. Diamond is a gorgeous white kitty with blue eyes and she was cuddling with her brother, Diesel. The card said they needed to be adopted together because they've been through so much change in their young lives and that they are the only stability they've had. They were so cute and their story broke my heart. Kyra asked to hold Diamond, and after a minute or so she insisted that I hold her. She knew I wouldn't be able to resist adopting her after holding her. My heart melted as she purred against my chest and looked up at me with those gorgeous blue eyes. The volunteer said that Diamond was the cutest, but Diesel has the most personality. Kyra picked up Diesel and he playful pawed at her face as he purred against her chest. She looked at me with those pleading, happy eyes and it was hard to say no. Then the volunteer said that if we adopted these two, we not only would be saving their lives, but we would also be saving another kitty's life because she had received a call from someone looking for a rescue group to take in a kitten that was just found abandoned. These people are trained well at pulling at heart strings...
Kyra kept telling me how much Diamond looks like Indy did as a kitten. She was wearing me down. Indy was the second kitten that I ever had as an adult and I've missed her over the past few years. And the next thing I know, I'm saying yes to adopting these two kittens. We both love the name Diesel, but weren't 100% sold on the name of "Diamond". We brainstormed on the drive home... Delilah? Yes... Daisy? YES!!! "Dang, what have you talked me into?"? Kyra didn't like that one so much.
We picked up Bryn and then came home to introduce the kitties to the household. By now, I'm beating myself up for not remaining strong and saying no. We really don't "need" any more pets. As the next few hours pass, I become even more stressed. Kyra and Bryn are going to play in the yard and Kyra asks me to check in on the kittens occassionally while they're outside. I'm really starting to stress and beat myself up mentally as I'm making a salad. Then I decide to go into Kyra's room and check on the kittens. They're cuddled up cutely in their new bed. I pet Diesel and he purrs loudly. My heart melts again. I keep petting him and feel the stress leaving my body. And this convinces me that I made the right decision after all. Welcome home Daisy and Diesel!
P.S. Tasha, Riley and Tiger seem to like the kitties too. Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment