I selected Cheyenne again and Kyra chose Sioux. Our guide this afternoon was Travis. Cheyenne got spooked several times during our ride, which should have been a warning. Towards the end of our trail ride, Travis asked if we'd like to canter. YES!!! Kyra and most of our group was behind me. Almost immediately into the canter, Cheyenne bucked. I held on. She bucked again; I held on. And she bucked a third time; I held on. But on her fourth buck, which was much more powerful, I couldn't hold on any longer. I went flying through the air and landed on my head/back and quickly rolled to my stomach on the side of the trail. I screamed as I flew off which caused the group to stop. My head throbbed and my lower back ached. After ascertaining that I could wiggle my fingers and toes, Travis slowly helped me get up. (I later learned that Kyra had dismounted her horse and caught my horse's reins.) He helped me back on my horse and then we walked back to the barn. On the walk back, Kyra was in front of me and she kept turning around and talking to me. Normally she's quiet on rides. She kept prompting me for things I am greatful for. I'm grateful that I had on a helmet (especially since I later learned that I broke mine in the fall). I'm grateful that I'm not paralyzed. I'm grateful to be able to spend Thanksgiving with my daughter riding horses. I'm thankful that I don't have to cook or clean today. I'm thankful that the elves were in the Camelbak to cushion my upper back in the fall. etc. Keep expressing gratitude...
Thursday, November 26, 2009
OUCH!!! I was bucked off a horse!!!
I selected Cheyenne again and Kyra chose Sioux. Our guide this afternoon was Travis. Cheyenne got spooked several times during our ride, which should have been a warning. Towards the end of our trail ride, Travis asked if we'd like to canter. YES!!! Kyra and most of our group was behind me. Almost immediately into the canter, Cheyenne bucked. I held on. She bucked again; I held on. And she bucked a third time; I held on. But on her fourth buck, which was much more powerful, I couldn't hold on any longer. I went flying through the air and landed on my head/back and quickly rolled to my stomach on the side of the trail. I screamed as I flew off which caused the group to stop. My head throbbed and my lower back ached. After ascertaining that I could wiggle my fingers and toes, Travis slowly helped me get up. (I later learned that Kyra had dismounted her horse and caught my horse's reins.) He helped me back on my horse and then we walked back to the barn. On the walk back, Kyra was in front of me and she kept turning around and talking to me. Normally she's quiet on rides. She kept prompting me for things I am greatful for. I'm grateful that I had on a helmet (especially since I later learned that I broke mine in the fall). I'm grateful that I'm not paralyzed. I'm grateful to be able to spend Thanksgiving with my daughter riding horses. I'm thankful that I don't have to cook or clean today. I'm thankful that the elves were in the Camelbak to cushion my upper back in the fall. etc. Keep expressing gratitude...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment